Other Fulbright Programs

If you are not eligible for the Fulbright Scholar Program, find out what other opportunities Fulbright has to offer:

Other Fulbright Opportunities for U.S. Citizens


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program offers unparalleled opportunities in all academic disciplines for graduating college seniors, graduate students, and early-career professionals from all backgrounds. Program participants pursue graduate study, conduct research, or teach English abroad. 


The Fulbright Specialist Program, a short-term complement to the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program, sends U.S. faculty and professionals to serve as expert consultants on curriculum, faculty development, institutional planning, and related subjects at overseas academic institutions for a period of 2 to 6 weeks. Note that eligibility for the Fulbright Specialist program may differ from the Fulbright U.S. Scholar guidelines.


The Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching Research Program sends U.S. primary and secondary school teachers abroad for three to six months to pursue individual projects, conduct research, take courses for professional development and share their expertise with local teachers and students. There is a short-term program option (2-6 weeks) that sends expert U.S. teachers to support projects identified by U.S. Embassies and Fulbright Commissions in schools, teacher training colleges, government ministries, and educational NGOs.

Other Fulbright Opportunities for Non-U.S. Citizens


The Fulbright Foreign Student Program enables graduate students, young professionals, and artists from abroad to research and study in the United States for one year or longer at U.S. universities or other appropriate institutions. Application details and grant terms for the Fulbright Program vary by country of citizenship and program. Potential applicants should consult individual country pages for program availability and contact information or see a list of current programs. For prospective applicants from Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia, the UAE, West Bank and Gaza, or Yemen, please see this page for the Fulbright Foreign Student Program.


The Hubert H. Humphrey Program provides 10 months of professional enrichment and non-degree graduate-level study in the United States for accomplished mid-level professionals from designated countries. Fellows are nominated by U.S. Embassies or Fulbright Commissions based on their potential for leadership and a demonstrated commitment to public service. The fellows are placed in groups by professional field at selected U.S. universities offering specially designed programs of study and training.


The Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program (FLTA) places early career educators as Foreign Language Teaching Assistants at U.S. colleges and universities — improving U.S. students’ foreign language abilities and knowledge of other countries. In addition to performing teaching duties, FLTAs engage in coursework, conduct language and cultural activities in their host communities, and improve their English language skills and knowledge of the United States.